Wilson, Ph.D., President Emeritus The University of Massachusetts and
Distinguished Professor of Higher Education, Emerging Technologies, and Innovation, The University of Massachusetts Lowell.
Dr. Wilson has served as a Professor and an administrator in research universities for most of his 40 year long career. He has also founded and led a private sector company.
· President Emeritus and Distinguished Professor of Higher Education, Emerging Technologies, and Innovation, University of Massachusetts, 2011-
· President (interim) Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate 2011-2012
· President, Univ. of Massachusetts 2003-2011
· Dean of Engineering (interim) 2012-2013
· Founding Chair of the Mass Green High Performance Computing Center 2009-2011.
· CEO, UMassOnline and Vice President, Univ. of Massachusetts 2001-2003
2003 J Erik Jonsson Distinguished Professor of
Physics, Engineering Science, Information Technology and Management as well as
other titles (Professor, Dean, interim Provost, Research Center Director, etc.)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 1990-2001.
Chairman of the Board of the ILINC Corporation
1993-2000. President 1993-95, One of three founders.
Eventually a $500 million educational software company.
· Chief Executive Officer of the American Association of Physics Teachers 1982-1990
· Professor of Physics, University of Maryland 1984-1990
is currently serving as the Chair of the U.S. Department of Education FIPSE
Advisory Board, The Board Chair of the National Center for Academic
Transformation, and a member of the Advanced Cyber-Security Center Board. He
served as the Chair of New England Defense Technology Initiative, The Higher
Educational National Security Advisory Board to the FBI, CIA, and Homeland
Security, and was
an appointed voting delegate of Massachusetts to the Education Commission of the
States. His work in creating new
learning environments enabled by advances in computing, communications, and
cognition has been recognized by awards such as the Theodore Hesburgh Award, the
Pew Charitable Trust Prize, the Boeing Prize, an Outstanding Civilian Service
Medal by the United States Army for service to the Army Education program, and
as a Fellow of American Physical Society and the American Association of Physics
He also chaired the Online Learning Commission for the Presidents of the
American Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) which did a study of the
online learning strategies of the public research universities in partnership
with the Sloan Foundation. He Chaired the Commission on Innovation,
Competitiveness and Economic Prosperity of the Presidents of the American Public
and Land Grant Universities.
He Chaired the Commission on Innovation, Competitiveness and Economic Prosperity of the Presidents of the American Public and Land Grant Universities.